Budapest museums · Unusual
Unusual · since 1930
Stamp Museum
original name: Bélyegmúzeum
The pull-out frame is a rare way of showing things: nothing has been chosen for the reader; half a million stamps lie open at once, down to the last frame. Few postal museums in Europe are arranged this way; Berlin and London show a selection. The value here is in the arrangement and in the completeness: the stamps collectors hunt for are kept elsewhere.
Minimum route
1–2 hours
Founded
1930
Ticket
from HUF 1,200
Today
10:00–18:00
What to see
The permanent display in 3,200 pull-out frames: nearly half a million stamps, laid out by country and by year. A frame is drawn from its cabinet by hand and pushed back again — looking here is done standing, one frame at a time. Hungarian issues from the first Austro-Hungarian stamps to the present, with proofs and misprints.
Minimum route — 1–2 hours for the essentials
20 minutes with the Hungarian issues. 40 minutes among the country frames, at random and by your own interest. 15 minutes with the proofs and misprints.
Reference
About the museum
The museum opened on 28 April 1930 on the eighth floor of the Post Palace on Krisztina körút and moved in 1939 to the present building, a post office designed by Gyula Rimanóczy. Some thirteen million stamps are kept here.
Getting in
How to get there
Metro M2 to Blaha Lujza tér, five minutes on foot. Trams 4 and 6 stop on the Grand Boulevard.
Opening timeschecked on 22 August 2026, the museum website
open now until 18:00
| Mon | closed |
| Tue–Sun today | 10:00–18:00 |
Closed on Mondays, and on 1 January, 1 November and from 24 to 26 December.
Ticketschecked on 22 August 2026, the museum website
Full ticket 1,200 forints, reduced 600.
from HUF 1,200
When to go
Any day, we would say: few people come here on any day of the week.
Contacts
· No. 121