Skip to content

Your browser is older than this page. The catalogue still reads here: the list, the filter and the cards all work. Your browser will mark filter choices with plain checkboxes, as best it can. Update your browser to see the page as it was built.

Museums near The Archives Exhibition Hall

We do not ask your browser where you are. We collect no data about people. Place the point on the city map yourself — we will find the nearest museums that suit your preferences.

Distance
Filter
How much time
We count what is left today: from now — or from opening, if the museum has not opened yet — to the last admission. The closing hour is of no use for such a count: past the last admission nobody is let in. Where the last admission is not established we allow half an hour: erring towards «you will not make it» costs less than sending someone to a locked door.
When I go
We show those open on at least one of the days chosen. Today is Sunday.
Who with
One thing is asked here: whether a child will find it interesting inside. The ease of the way and of the rooms is a question of another kind, and it stands under “Access”. In the entry this shows as a mark, and the age in the note beside it.
What to see
Access
The accessibility of a museum and the accessibility of the way to it are different things, and we keep them apart. It happens that everything inside is arranged faultlessly while the door itself cannot be reached in a wheelchair; it happens the other way round too.
How valuable
What sets it apart

Drag the pin or press the map.

open nowclosed nowhours not known

Map — OpenStreetMap

Nearest museums · 50
Art · since 1989

Museum of Folk Prints

for enthusiasts
Museum of Folk Prints
The lubok is an independent visual system, not a low echo of high art, and in Moscow it is shown only here. The collection is small, the subject unique and almost nowhere else treated as art.

Lubok sheets of the 17th to 19th century, printing boards and a press, and work by living artists who continue the craft.

5.5 km from here · Maly Golovin Lane 10, bldg 1 · ·
checked 15 August 2026 · No. 14
for enthusiasts
Apollinary Vasnetsov Museum
Apollinary Vasnetsov’s reconstructions of old Moscow are not painting but scholarship: the artist made archaeological observations, and his views still serve as textbook illustrations. Here they hang in the flat where they were made.

The studio with its original furnishings, and the views of old Moscow — historical reconstructions by which the medieval city is still imagined.

5.7 km from here · Furmanny Lane 6, flats 21–22 (3rd floor) ·
· No. 13
House museums · since 1953

The Vasnetsov House

for enthusiasts
The Vasnetsov House
Ues22, CC BY-SA 4.0 · Wikimedia Commons
The Bogatyrs was painted in this studio. It hangs in Lavrushinsky Lane, and the Vladimir Cathedral murals stayed in Kyiv. What is here is the house. Viktor Vasnetsov built it for himself in 1894 to his own design, and the Tretyakov Gallery calls it the first dwelling house in the neo-Russian manner; upstairs is the studio the whole thing was raised for, and in it stayed The Poem of Seven Fairy Tales, seven canvases he kept painting from 1901 until the year he died. Of twenty-six thousand items the greater part came as a gift from his heirs, who ran the house as a museum from 1927, kept it open through the years when they were themselves living on the ground floor, and gave house, furniture and pictures to the state in 1948. Our view: the paintings that made his name are elsewhere, and one comes here to watch a single man carry his Russian style all the way from the canvas down to the furniture.

The upper floor is the studio the house was built for: high ceilings, wide windows onto the yard and the garden. Viktor Vasnetsov painted the Bogatyrs and Sirin and Alkonost here. Both went long ago to Lavrushinsky Lane. What stayed is The Poem of Seven Fairy Tales — seven canvases of 1901–1926, from The Sleeping Princess to The Frog Princess. Beside them are icons and peasant costumes from his own collection. His brushes lie in a birchbark box on the work table. Downstairs, two rooms survive almost intact. The dining room and the drawing room keep their furnishing of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century: furniture to drawings by Vasnetsov and Yelena Polenova, family portraits by his own hand. In the yard, on the brick fire wall, is the mosaic Christ Enthroned after his design. It was set early in the twentieth century in Frolov’s St Petersburg workshop and moved here in the 1970s.

5.8 km from here · Vasnetsova Lane 13 · ·
checked 20 August 2026 · No. 100
Literature · since 1928

The Dostoevsky House

significant
The Dostoevsky House
Татьяна Воронцова, CC BY 4.0 · Wikimedia Commons
The first Dostoevsky museum in the world, opened in 1928, and the only place bound up with his childhood: he lived here from 1823 to 1837, while his father served as physician to the Mariinsky Hospital for the Poor. The hospital beyond the window belongs to the case: the boy grew up among poverty and sickness, and half his books grow from here. In Doughty Street one sees where Dickens wrote; here one sees where a writer was made, which is a different question and a rarer exhibit. The collection is small and few family things survive, and that should be known in advance; the value here is the place itself.

The family’s own things: the oval sofa table, the bookcase, portraits of the parents and forebears, bronze candelabra from Andrei Dostoevsky’s collection. In the Dostoevsky’s World display — the sofa the writer bought in 1866, the writing desk from his last flat, an inkstand and his spectacles, a facsimile of the Gospel the Decembrists’ wives gave him in 1850. The view from the window onto the hospital yard, which Dostoevsky saw as a child.

6.0 km from here · Dostoevskogo Street 2 · ·
· No. 78
Art · since 1947

The Rublev Museum

outstanding
The Rublev Museum
Pegushev, CC BY-SA 3.0 · Wikimedia Commons
The third collection of Russian icons after the Tretyakov and the Russian Museum, and the only one built as a museum of one subject: here the icon does not stand in a row of Russian art but is explained in itself, from the board and the gesso to the iconography. The holding was formed from things brought out by the museum’s expeditions from closed and ruined churches, and its value is the completeness of the line rather than single stars: famous names are almost absent, but the sequence runs unbroken from the thirteenth century to the seventeenth. In Britain icons are met in ones and twos, in Byzantine rooms and in the trade; a museum where the subject has a building of its own does not exist there. The monastery’s Saviour Cathedral, in which all this stands, is the oldest surviving building in Moscow.

Icons of the thirteenth to seventeenth centuries, gathered by the museum’s own expeditions. Royal doors and whole iconostasis sets. Fragments of wall painting. The Saviour Cathedral of the 1420s — the oldest building in Moscow, with remains of ornamental painting associated with Rublev.

6.2 km from here · Andronyevskaya Square 10 · ·
· No. 61
Science and nature · since 1706

The Apothecary Garden

outstanding
The Apothecary Garden
Gennady Grachev, CC BY 2.0 · Wikimedia Commons
A garden in the middle of the city: five hundred metres to the Garden Ring, and the ground is not large. Founded by Peter I in 1706. Moscow had several such physic gardens, and every one of them except this vanished without trace, while the larch here, planted by tradition by Peter himself (an increment borer confirms an age of only two hundred years — our note), is alive still, though since a lightning strike early in the twentieth century it has hardly grown. The Palm House of 1891 is the centre of a tropical collection gathered over more than two hundred years.

Peter's larch, as the garden has always called it, stands in the middle of the arboretum. Beside it a pedunculate oak more than two hundred years old, limes past a hundred, and a rare weeping form of the Dahurian larch. The Palm House of 1891: palms, figs and pandanus at their full height. The Succulent House on the upper floor of the glasshouse block holds cacti, euphorbias, agaves and aloes, some of them among the rarest anywhere. The old pond with its water plants, the shade garden, the heather slope where the rockery used to be; the conifer slopes took a gold diploma of the landscape architecture prize in 2013.

6.3 km from here · Prospekt Mira 26, building 1 · ·
checked 20 August 2026 · No. 102
History · since 2012

The Jewish Museum

significant
The Jewish Museum
Ludvig14, CC BY-SA 4.0 · Wikimedia Commons
Come for two things at once: the Bakhmetevsky garage by Melnikov and Shukhov, a building of world significance, and the history of Russian Jewry told from inside as nowhere else. The holdings of originals are modest, and that is worth knowing beforehand.

The building itself — the Bakhmetevsky garage of 1926–1927, one of Konstantin Melnikov’s principal works with steel structures by Vladimir Shukhov; the Café on Basseynaya, a reconstruction of shtetl life.

6.6 km from here · Obraztsova 11, bldg 1a · ·
· No. 47
Unusual · since 2009

The Chocolate Museum

niche
The Chocolate Museum
An industrial tour rather than a museum: the value is the walk into the working shop and the history of Einem. As a collection it is next to nothing, and we do not hide that.

A walk into the working shop where sweets are wrapped in front of you; the history of Einem and Krasny Oktyabr in original wrappers and advertising.

8.0 km from here · Malaya Krasnoselskaya 7 (entrance from Lobachika 1, bldg 1) · ·
· No. 41
Architecture and estates · since 1923

Kolomenskoye

outstanding
Kolomenskoye
A.Savin, CC BY-SA 3.0 · Wikimedia Commons
The Church of the Ascension of 1532 is the first stone tented church in Russia and the only building in Moscow on the World Heritage list. The tent here is structure and not ornament, and sixteenth-century Russian architecture cannot be understood without having stood under it. The rest is a museum reserve with a middling collection: icons, tiles, manuscripts, wooden buildings brought from the North. And one warning: the palace of Alexei Mikhailovich shown in every photograph is a 2010 replica put up elsewhere in the park; it should not be confused with the real Kolomenskoye.

The Church of the Ascension, 1532. The Church of the Beheading of St John the Baptist at Dyakovo, sixteenth century, usually empty. The Front Gate with its display. Peter the Great’s cabin, brought from Arkhangelsk. Tiles and icons in the reserve’s exhibitions.

9.3 km from here · Andropova Prospekt 39 · ·
· No. 69
Science and nature · since 2011

Experimentanium

for enthusiasts
Experimentanium
Barvenkovskiy, CC BY-SA 4.0 · Wikimedia Commons
A Western-style science centre, not a museum: no originals, only apparatus. Excellent for a first acquaintance with physics; it gives nothing at all for the history of science.

Halls of mechanics, optics, acoustics and electricity; a mirror maze; science shows to a timetable.

9.3 km from here · Leningradsky Prospekt 80, bldg 11 · ·
· No. 49