Skip to content

Your browser is older than this page. The catalogue still reads here: the list, the filter and the cards all work. Your browser will mark filter choices with plain checkboxes, as best it can. Update your browser to see the page as it was built.

Museums near The Ostend City Museum

We do not ask your browser where you are. We collect no data about people. Place the point on the city map yourself — we will find the nearest museums that suit your preferences.

Distance
Filter
How much time
We count what is left today: from now — or from opening, if the museum has not opened yet — to the last admission. The closing hour is of no use for such a count: past the last admission nobody is let in. Where the last admission is not established we allow half an hour: erring towards «you will not make it» costs less than sending someone to a locked door.
When I go
We show those open on at least one of the days chosen. Today is Friday.
Who with
One thing is asked here: whether a child will find it interesting inside. The ease of the way and of the rooms is a question of another kind, and it stands under “Access”. In the entry this shows as a mark, and the age in the note beside it.
What to see
Access
The accessibility of a museum and the accessibility of the way to it are different things, and we keep them apart. It happens that everything inside is arranged faultlessly while the door itself cannot be reached in a wheelchair; it happens the other way round too.
How valuable
What sets it apart
Showing 6 museums

Drag the pin or press the map.

open nowclosed nowhours not known

Map — OpenStreetMap

Nearest museums · 6
House museums · since 1952

The James Ensor House

for enthusiasts
The James Ensor House
Paul Hermans, CC BY-SA 4.0 · Wikimedia Commons
The house where Ensor lived and worked from 1917 until his death in 1949 — the only house-museum of a painter from whom both expressionism and what was later called surrealism are reckoned. There is no collection here: most of the furniture was sold off before the museum opened in 1952, and since 2020 the house has been arranged as an experience centre, five rooms with full-scale reproductions. What is authentic is the shell-and-souvenir shop that came to him from his uncle and aunt and that he left untouched, and the room itself where the Entry of Christ into Brussels hung.

The Blue Salon with a full-scale copy of The Entry of Christ into Brussels in 1889, hung where the original hung; the original itself has been at the Getty since 1987. The shell-and-souvenir shop on the ground floor — the trade of the artist’s aunt and uncle, which he closed but did not clear out. The studio and the living rooms with what furniture survived. Five experience rooms, each on its own theme: Ensor’s world, interiors, his public life, the criticism, masks and strange figures. An exhibition space in the annexed house, where the shows are made with Xavier Tricot.

150 m from here · Vlaanderenstraat 29 · ·
· No. 82
Transport · since 1932

The sailing ship Mercator

niche
The sailing ship Mercator
FaceMePLS, CC BY 2.0 · Wikimedia Commons
A three-masted barquentine of 1932, built at Leith to the design of the polar explorer Adrien de Gerlache as the training ship of the Belgian merchant fleet — a protected monument and probably the best-known ship in the country. Twenty-eight years of service brought fifty-four voyages and only two masters; since 1960 she has lain in the Ostend marina. The ship has no collection. What the Mercator is remembered for is no longer aboard: of the two moai brought from Easter Island, the Belgian one — Pou Hakanononga, six tonnes of andesite — stands in the Cinquantenaire in Brussels, the second went to the French, and the remains of Father Damien have long been at Leuven.

The ship herself, of 1932: fifteen sails of 1,600 square metres in all, the deck, the cadets’ quarters, the officers’ cabins, the chart room. The ship’s operating room, which served as a mortuary chapel when the Mercator carried the remains of Father Damien from New Zealand to Antwerp in 1936. The memory of the seventh voyage of 1934–1935, from which she brought back the Franco-Belgian Easter Island expedition and two moai.

700 m from here · Jachthaven, Jan Piersplein · ·
· No. 86
Art · since 2008

Mu.ZEE

outstanding
Mu.ZEE
FrDr, CC BY-SA 4.0 · Wikimedia Commons
The only collection arranged as one continuous account of art in Belgium: eight thousand works by 1,341 artists, from François Bossuet of 1821 to Luc Tuymans; the museum puts it as “from 1880 to tomorrow”. There is more Spilliaert here than anywhere in the world — a hundred and ten works of its own plus a private collection on long loan since 2020, and that is what people come for.

The museum’s own building on Romestraat has been closed for rebuilding since January 2025 and reopens in 2028; the collection is shown in parts in the Venetian Galleries, so the whole of it cannot be seen at present. The Léon Spilliaert holding — the Ostend seafront and dyke, the night self-portraits; nothing matches it anywhere, and at its core stands Self-portrait with Red Pencil of 1908, Indian ink, gouache and pastel on paper, 85 × 69 cm, inv. SM000005. James Ensor and the circle of Les XX (Willy Finch). Constant Permeke, Jean Brusselmans, Frits Van den Berghe — Flemish expressionism. Paul Delvaux, Georges Vantongerloo, Roger Raveel, Luc Tuymans. The oldest work is François Bossuet’s The Sawmills at Slijkens near Ostend, 1821.

950 m from here · Venetian Galleries (Venetiaanse Gaanderijen), Parijsstraat 2, at the corner of the sea dyke · ·
· No. 81
Military history · since 1811

Fort Napoleon

for enthusiasts
Fort Napoleon
Johan Bakker, CC BY-SA 3.0 · Wikimedia Commons
A five-sided tower fort of 1811, of the tours et redoutes modèle 1811 type: five walls of 27.4 metres, brickwork 2.65 metres thick, more than eight million bricks, the foundation pit dug by Spanish prisoners of war and conscripted local builders. The fort saw neither siege nor action: Napoleon’s star set before it was needed, and so it came through whole. It did not stand empty, though. In the First World War the Germans made it the artillery’s assembly quarters, put the Hindenburg battery behind it and brought in electricity, heating and water; in the Second the fort was taken into the Atlantic Wall. From that first occupation the murals of 1915 remain on its walls, and they are the one thing here that can be called a collection. What is shown now is a story route and temporary exhibitions.

The mural Der Barbar of 1915 by the soldier-artist Heinrich-Otto Pieper (1881–1968), over the chimneypiece: a German knight in armour with his broadsword at a Scot’s throat, and beside him the severed heads of an Italian, a Frenchman, a Japanese, a Senegalese and a Russian — German war propaganda without a fig leaf; next to it an allegorical version of the Bremen Town Musicians. Restored in 1932. The building itself: a pentagon with its north corner to the sea, two tiers of casemates, a dormitory for five hundred soldiers with 96 loopholes, a dry moat ten metres wide and five caponiers.

1.3 km from here · Vuurtorenweg 13 · ·
· No. 85
Science and nature · since 2000

Astropolis, Space Science Center

niche
A planetarium and space science centre on the Duinkerkseweg: there is no collection, and what is shown is knowledge. Here they talk about natural science.

The planetarium dome and the sky shows. The space-flight section. There are no objects of a museum kind.

3.8 km from here · Duinkerkseweg 16 · ·
· No. 91
Military history · since 1992

The Atlantic Wall at Raversyde

for enthusiasts
The Atlantic Wall at Raversyde
Tim Bekaert, public domain · Wikimedia Commons
A strip of dune where the works of both world wars have survived side by side. The chief thing here is the Aachen battery of 1915: the only German coastal battery of the First World War of which enough is left to read the whole arrangement of that war’s coastal defence; of the others only scattered concrete boxes remain.

The Aachen battery — begun on 8 January 1915 and in service by the end of that April: the observation post, the gun positions, the communication trenches. The Saltzwedel-neu battery of the Second World War — more than sixty bunkers and underground galleries. Everything has been kept where it stands: nothing was carted in.

6.1 km from here · Nieuwpoortsesteenweg 636 · ·
· No. 83

5 museums have no point set. They are not in this count.