Skip to content
Tata museums · History
History · since 1972

The Museum of the Hungarian Germans

original name: Német Nemzetiségi Múzeum
niche
Germans have lived in these parts since the early Middle Ages, settled here in great waves in the eighteenth century, and in 1946 were carried off by train; there is no second museum of that community in the country. The main thing here is not ethnography: the standing display of 2015, We and the Others, works out how a majority forms its notion of a minority — a rare case of a minority museum taking on the mechanism itself. ICOM Hungary gave it its award for that in 2023.
Minimum route
about an hour
Founded
1972
Ticket
from HUF 1,000
Today
09:00–17:00
The Museum of the Hungarian Germans
Pasztilla aka Attila Terbócs, CC BY-SA 4.0 · Wikimedia Commons
What to see

The standing display We and the Others (Mi és a többiek, 2015): the Histories section — a thousand years of the state’s dealings with its minorities, laid out as a river with its shoals and dams — and facing it the personal keepsakes given to the museum by people and communities; the Objects section — what has counted at various times as a typically German thing. The Nepomuk mill of 1758 by Jakab Fellner: how the mill was built and how it worked is shown on the ground floor. The wooden statue of John of Nepomuk on the front. An open store in the former granary. Of the costume and household gear one expects from a local museum there is less here than there is talk.

Minimum route — about an hour for the essentials

An hour.

  1. 15 minuteshow the mill was built and how it worked, on the ground floor.
  2. 30 minutesWe and the Others: the Histories section and the personal belongings facing it.
  3. 10 minutesthe Objects section.
  4. 5 minutesthe open store in the granary and the statue of Nepomuk on the front.
Reference
About the museum
The museum was founded in 1972 and gathers whatever is left of German life in Hungary. The first permanent display stood in the Miklós mill from 1973; the present one is the fourth. In 2019 the museum was named a community museum, and in 2023 ICOM Hungary gave it its award.
The building
The Nepomuk mill was built in 1758 to a design by Jakab Fellner and named after the patron of millers and those who travel by water; his wooden statue stands on the front. Three floors of the main building, some five hundred square metres, are given to the museum, and the former granary holds an open store.
Getting in
Addresschecked on 19 August 2026, the museum website
Alkotmány utca 1
How to get there
The mill stands on the stream in the northern part of town, twenty minutes on foot from the castle.
Opening timeschecked on 19 August 2026, the museum website
closed for the day
Mon, Sunclosed
Tue–Sat today09:00–17:00
Closed on Mondays and Sundays.
Ticketschecked on 19 August 2026, the museum website
Adults 1,000 Ft, reduced 500 Ft. A joint ticket with the castle costs 3,500 Ft. A guided round is 3,000 Ft in Hungarian and 9,000 Ft in German.
from HUF 1,000
When to go
Sunday is the closed day here, which catches visitors out: the other Tata museums are open on Sundays. In summer the yard holds evenings with music and beer.
Contacts
kunymuzeum.hu · +36 34 381 251 · info@kunymuzeum.hu
Of interest to children
The mill machinery with its animation makes sense to children; the rest is grown-up talk. Since 2020 the yard has held a herb garden and a bee pasture, and that is worth a child’s time.
· No. 93

← all museums Tata